Ketogenic diet or keto diet is a low carb diet, with moderate protein intake and high fat intake more like the Atkins diet. The point is that in this diet most of the calories are from protein and fat. Reducing carbohydrate intake and increasing fats can cause the body to go in a ketosis state.
When this happens the body becomes efficient at burning fat for energy. It turns fats into ketones in the liver which supply energy to the brain. Ketogenic diet can cause reduction in blood glucose level which has several health benefits
How ketogenic diet works?
Intake of less carbs is the key here. About 50 grams of carbs per day is ideal for ketogenic diet to work. It takes the body 3 to 4 days to lower the blood sugar levels. After this your body starts to break down protein and fat for energy and this is where your weight loss starts. This process is called ketosis.
Different types of ketogenic diets
- Standard Ketogenic diet (SKD): A low carb, moderate protein and high fat diet. 75% fats, 20% protein and 5% carbs.
- Cyclical Ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet is followed in a cycle of 5 ketogenic days and 2 high carb days. This diet involves high intake of carb refeed after a certain period of time.
- Targeted Ketogenic diet (TKD): this diet is similar to the usual ketogenic diet except you eat your carbs around workouts so it is basically consumed in the form of energy.
- High Protein Ketogenic Diet: In this diet instead of eating high amounts of fats you intake more protein hence lowering your fat intake a bit. 55% fat, 40% protein, 5% carbs
Health benefits of ketogenic diet
A ketogenic diet is an effective method to lose weight and get closer to your ideal physique. It also helps manage the risk of certain medical conditions. It lowers the risk of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, acne, POS, epilepsy and many more. With reduced blood sugar level, insulin, cholesterol many of these medical conditions can be prevented and treated to some extent. Your diet play a very important role in how your body feels and reacts.
What to eat on your ketogenic diet?
Meat: steak, chicken, turkey, ham.
Seafood: salmon, tuna, mussels, oysters.
Eggs: whole eggs
Cheese: cheddar, goat, cream, blue, mozzarella.
Nuts and seeds: almonds, walnuts, cashew, pecan, flax seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds etc.
Oils: extra virgin olive oil, coconut, and avocado
Low carb veggies: green veggies (kale, broccoli, spinach) , tomatoes, onions, peppers, zucchini etc.
Fruits: watermelon, strawberries, raspberries, cantaloupe.
Unsweetened tea and coffee
Foods you should NOT to eat on ketogenic diet
Firstly limit any high carb food
Grains and starch: rice, pasta, oats, cereal, bread, barley, quinoa, buckwheat, any whole based products.
Beans and legumes: peas, chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils, etc.
Vegetables: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, corn etc.
Fruits: oranges, bananas, apples, mangoes, grapes, pineapples, fruits smoothies.
Condiments and sauces: have unhealthy fats and added sugar in them.
Dairy products: condensed milk, fat free or low fat yogurt.
Sugary foods: cake, ice-creams, candy, chocolates.
Most foods and drinks have a lot of added sugar in them so be careful when doing your groceries. Liquid intake is very important and that should be fulfilled from water. Drink 6 to 8 glasses daily.
Healthy keto snacks
Hard boiled eggs
90% dark chocolate
Low carb milkshakes
Veggie sticks with nut butter
Kale chips with salsa
Keto sushi rolls
Celery sticks with salsa or guacamole
Strawberries with cream cheese
Chocolate keto protein shake
Tip for eating out on a ketogenic diet
- Find keto friendly cafes and meals.
- Swap any grains or starch to extra vegetables.
- Egg, fish, chicken related recipes are a great way to be on track.
- Another tip is to order a bun-less burger in this way you won’t have any bread so no extra carbs.
- Ask for extra cheese, salsa, avocado, eggs.
- As for desserts, go for cheese boards, keto cheesecake, peanut butter balls.
Now that we have got you all settled to start your ketogenic diet journey . You need to keep in mind that ketogenic diet cannot be practiced for a long period of time as it has it’s own risks. Practice ketogenic diet for 4 to 6 months at max and then start incorporating carbs back in your diet.